June 8, 2010

It's been a long time/I shouldn't have left you/Without a dope beat to step to.

I have been slackin' on my Beauty Blogger pimpin', and I apologize.  Yours truly had a negative reaction to a new medication, and spent about a week spooning our porcelain jacuzzi.  (I was the big spoon.)  I also broke out in sex-ay hives...  on my face.  Shame on me for not doing a HFOTD!  Ha!

As some of you already know, I recently turned twenty-eight years old.  My darling little sisters surprised me with two Sephora gift cards to celebrate my senior citizenship.  I immediately placed an order online, but unfortunately, ended up returning everything to the store.

I drug my adorable husband with me to return my "great-but-not-for-moi" products.  He sweetly agreed to allow me to peruse for as long as I desired -- without dragging his feet or staring longingly at the exit signs.  I am proud to announce he did just that!  (In his eyes, Sephora and Ulta are the devil.  LOL!)

RETURNED ITEM #1:

[NARS Mekong Eye Shadow]

[NARS Mekong Swatch]

Oh, how I wanted to love this shadow.  I love NARS' products and had been dying to get my hands on this particular product for months.  In the pan and swatched, Mekong appears to be a rich dark chocolate shade, speckled with delicate gold flecks.  It's gorgeous.  However, once it has been blended onto the lid, the Godiva goodness and metallic sparkles morph into a flat black hue.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, however, I already own two matte black shadows.

RETURNED ITEM #2:

[Buxom Gloss in "Celeste"]

I am a HUGE Buxom Gloss fan.  Moisturizing, minty fresh, and emollient, they truly are my favorite glosses.  Sadly, "Celeste" was a miss for me as it wasn't as peachy as I had hoped it'd be.

What peach or pinky-coral gloss are you reaching for this Spring?

RETURNED ITEM #3:

[Sephora by OPI Polish in "How Cute Is That?".  The photograph does not capture the polish's true color.]

This pretty polish would have been a keeper had it been a tad less orange and shimmery.  The good news?  The varnish itself was easy to apply and didn't chip for days!

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well!  I look forward to catching up on all of my favorite blogs.  New posts are in the works, but in the meantime, check out this awesome giveaway:


SmootchKiss is generously giving away quite a bit of MAC goodies, among other things.  Check out her blog here!

Signature

Ask Me Questions Anonymously:  http://www.formspring.me/KateGene

12 comments:

Bombchell said...

i hardly ever had the strength to return or use store credits before they expire :(

Dye-A-Graham said...

Love the title of this post...Old Skool! hahaha Too bad none of those items worked for you...things can be so hard to judge online <3

Anonymous said...

nars mekong looks pretty too bad it ended up being a flat matte es

Beautygirl24 said...

I'm so happy you're feeling better!
That Aaliyah song makes me smile ;)

Kate Gene said...

Bombchell - OMG... Really? I am the Queen of Returns! Give me your stuff and I'll take it back. ;) I think the people at Ulta especially want to run away when they see me coming. LOL!

Dye-A-Graham - Yea! You knew what song I was referring to! That song takes me back to my senior year. Good times, good times. I definitely shouldn't buy make-up and clothes online. (I just took back a bunch of stuff to Old Navy, too. LOL!)

MW - Oh, man... Mekong is so nice! The product itself is nice to work with, too. I know a lot of other bloggers love it, so maybe it was just me? LOL! I guess I'll just have to admire it from afar. XD

Beautygirl24 - Thank you! Me, too! I couldn't eat, and I LOVE eating. It was a sad week. LOL! Old school Aaliyah really takes me back! Their is a radio station here that plays all the songs from my junior high and high school days. Love it!

Unknown said...

How sad that you were that sick for that long! That's the worst!! Glad you're feeling better though!! I've been MIA for even longer but I got a puppy and it feels like I got a baby instead! Still trying to figure out my schedule!!

Take care!

www.glamourandlove.com

Hollywood said...

Oh no worries you are not 28, in my imagination you are 12,5...I love little girls....(Oh my God I am scaring myself). Mekong looks hot on your finger...You fingers were made for swatches (lool)

Kisses Tween!

Unknown said...

When I saw the title I started singing the song lol

I have yet to try or buy Nars products lol. I'm way too lazy to return stuff too

http://makeupbykim-porter.com/blog

Kammi said...

I love your collection!! So gorgeous!

Kim Axani said...

Glad you are back and blogging!!!

m0chiii said...

wow.. you can return things back to sephora even after you've opened it/used it?? lol.. i never knew !! i have so much things to return, but just kept it because i thought they only accepted unused/unopened items..

Emma said...

Isn't it sort of a waste to return a used product? I mean, they can't sell it anymore then. Sure, if something was wrong with the product (like a half rotten cream blush or whatever), it's just fair to return it and get a new one in exchange. But I don't think it's fair to return something just because in retrospect, you notice you don't like the color as much as you thought you would. I think if you don't like something but the quality is ok - tough luck. If I buy something and I don't like it, then I guess I should've done better research beforehand. Sure it's not cool to spend money on something you won't really use, but if there's nothing wrong with the product and it's just a personal preference thing then it's unfair to the company/store you bought it from. But if you just look at the bottle of nail polish and think, ugh, that looks a lot different from what it looked like online, you should return it instead of swatching it first and then returning it. Because then they can't sell it anymore and have to throw it out or whatever. Sorry to start out with such a negative comment, I just discovered your blog yesterday and I really enjoy reading it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails